I have always thought that smacking (spanking) was the correct and biblical way of training our children. But I have been feeling lately that corporal punishment was not at all part of God's plan for us to train our children. After all, that is certainly not what He does with us. And this has turned my parenting upside-down. I have been using this tool of parenting ever since Leader Boy Warrior was 2 years old, and have even judged people that didn't use this method for their own children. It was really the only 'tool of the trade' in my parenting 'tool box'. It works, and it is simple and quick. But is it the best way? I don't want my boys to be controlled but I want to have a relationship with them and for them to obey me because they love me, not because of fear of punishment. After all, that is why I am obedient to my King, because He loves me and I have a relationship with Him, not because I fear that he will punish me if I don't obey.
On googling "Hebrew meaning of rod" I found some intersting reads on other parents who were questioning whether or not punishing your children was the correct intepretation for the infamous scriptures that most Christians use to justify smacking(spanking):
- Pr 13:24 He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.
- Pr 22:15 Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.
- Pr 23:13 Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.
- Pr 23:14 Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.
- Pr 29:15 The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.